Friday, February 20, 2009

Waldorf Salad and A Remembrance of Things Past

Last week, pondering my fridge as part of the ongoing 09 crusade against food waste, I noticed some lingering apples and celery. Like some sort of trivia game quiz, I found myself pondering: "apple + celery = ?" when the blindingly obvious answer hit me. It was time for a Waldorf salad. Waldorf salad was very chichi when I was growing up, but along with deep fried camembert (not kidding) and apricot chicken, it has disappeared. Having it again reminded me why it was so popular in the first place: the crunchy texture is very satisfying, the apples bring sweetness to the celery and the walnuts seal the deal. Make sure you use a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice in the dressing to stop the apples browning, and to lighten up the mayo a little. Feel free to throw in any other add-ins (raisins, other fruit, change the nuts add some leaves etc). And by the way, the leftovers will be just as nice tomorrow.

And in case you were wondering, the name comes from the Waldorf Astoria where this salad was created in 1896 by the maitre d' (not the chef).

Waldorf Salad
3 Granny Smith apples cored and chopped
4 sticks celery chopped
3 tbls walnuts, chopped
2 tbls mayonnaise
2 tbls lemon juice

Combine mayonnaise and lemon juice in a small bowl. Chop celery and apple and toss immediately with the dressing. Refrigerate until serving. Sprinkle with the walnuts just before serving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Waldorf Salad always makes me remember my grandmother, so delicious and comforting!