Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Banana Yoghurt Pancakes - Better Late Than Never



As I have mentioned before, breakfast at our house tends to be a slightly shambolic affair. In other words, everyone helps themselves to whatever they want: juice, cereal, muesli, fruit, toast. It is only on rare occasions that we have a hot breakfast, and that is usually when we have house guests. However, with an empty long weekend and a Barefoot Challenge to complete, we all sat down to pancakes for breakfast on Sunday.

These were good, and my favourite part was that the batter did not need any resting time before it was ready to be used. If you are a pancake person, I would definitely recommend these. Incidentally, I made them with yoghurt instead of sour cream, because in my current state, I accidentally put the sour cream in the freezer.... Here's to a return to health for my little tribe.

Barefoot Bloggers is a very relaxed internet group who cook something from the collected wisdom of Ina Garten aka the Barefoot Contessa a couple of times a month. If you feel like being pushed to extend your cooking skills and try new things, click here. Thanks to Karen of Something Sweet by Karen for the great choice. I got them done just in time for the end of Jan deadline!

Banana Sour Cream Pancakes from "Barefoot Contessa Family Style" by Ina Garten

1 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
2 extra-large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Unsalted butter
2 ripe bananas, diced, plus extra for serving
Pure maple syrup

Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, mixing only until combined.

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat until it bubbles. Ladle the pancake batter into the pan to make 3 or 4 pancakes. Distribute a rounded tablespoon of bananas on each pancake. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on top and the underside is nicely browned. Flip the pancakes and then cook for another minute until browned. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, add more butter to the pan, and continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used. Serve with sliced bananas, butter and maple syrup.

6 comments:

megat said...

Hi!! Your blog are very nice and more info. I hope follow my blog and please click my google ads.

Anonymous said...

glad you liked them. breakfast at my house usually means going out to eat...mmm, waffle house... but this was the kind of recipe that would keep us at home. :)

Aggie said...

I'm glad you got to make them b/c I thought they were great! Did you like them with the yogurt? I may sub that in next time!

Great blog you have here! Thanks for stopping by mine!

McKenzie said...

What a good idea to substitute yogurt for sour cream! I almost always have yogurt, but not always sour cream. I loved this recipe and will definitely be trying the yogurt variation!

Patty said...

Hi...Glad to have you back...these sound yummy...we are back in full gear again and the only free time this weekend is Sunday morning so I know what I will be making. xxx

Deb in Hawaii said...

Your pancakes look great. I ended up using a low-fat sour cream but would sub with yogurt next time I think.