Friday, January 30, 2009

Mango, Avocado, Papaya and Mint Salad - Time To Get Healthy


Having come back down to earth with a thump after our holiday, (thanks to the dreaded chicken pox) it is time for some virtuous eating. I'm not fussed whether it is soups or salads, just anything that has lots and lots of anti-oxidants and vitamins, as a bit of a restorative for all of us. I had spotted this salad in a Maggie Beer book when I was looking for Christmas recipes (she calls it her Christmas Salad), but it works just as well as a January salad (or an August salad provided that you can get your hands on a mango). This salad will definitely be making regular summer appearances at our house.
And on the subject of virtuous behaviour, I missed doing new year's resolutions because we were away, so I am officially declaring February to be the beginning of our new year. Tomorrow I will share with you my resolutions for 09 as well as some more "virtuous eating".
Christmas Salad from "Maggie's Table" by Maggie Beer
2 handfuls rocket
2 witlof bulbs, separated into leaves
2 mangoes
2 ripe avocadoes
1/4 papaya
30 mint leaves
Lime Vinaigrette
Finely grated zest and juice of two limes
125 ml extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
To make the vinaigrette, whisk all ingredients together.
Wash and dry the salad leaves. Slice the mango, avocado and papaya into similar sized long strips. Shred the mint finely and scatter over the salad. Dress the salad with the vinaigrette and adjust seasonings to taste.

5 comments:

test it comm said...

That is one nice looking salad!

Patty said...

Sounds divine...I will try this this weekend (sad to say my mint plant has died in the heat!)...xxx

Deb in Hawaii said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deb in Hawaii said...

Looks delicious! I am bookmarking this one for when the mangos here are good again.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I always love it when healthy is delicious too!!